Friday, November 4, 2016

Writing Zines


A few weeks ago I talked about my Zines. When I teach people how to make Zines I use creative writing techniques. These self-published magazines are really fun to make! 

This week: suggestions for what to write about; next week learn how to design your magazine.
Suggestions for writing themes:
  • Rant & rave, let the world know what ticks you off.
  • Create characters and an interesting story line; make it visual with artwork.
  • Pretend you are from outer space; give mundane earthly items a new purpose.
  • Trends: Fashion, home decor, jewelry…pick an era.
  • Choose one letter of the alphabet or one number, base your writing on that choice.

More writing themes:
  • Interesting signs: snap photos of them. Some are really fun to write about.
  • Bring song lyrics to life with photos or drawings.
  • Use interesting fonts or lettering with your quotes or poems.
  • Write about things that make you happy or sad and why.
  • Describe an odd dream or daydream you had and your interpretation.

One of my creativity books is Michael J.Gelb's “How to Think like Leonardo da Vinci.” An exercise balancing your logical and creative side is: Think of different uses for a scarf. I’ll start you off: use as a belt or necktie. Next week I’ll include 20 more uses.

If you are in the Houston area, remember Zine Fest is happening at The Lawndale Art Center on November 19th. - In the Comments below, let me know what books or techniques you use to get your creative juices flowing.
©Anne Rita Taylor 2016

No comments:

Post a Comment