Friday, May 5, 2017

Africa Travels with Beads


I bought lovely beads when I was in North Africa - called Trade Beads. I used one for this necklace. I visited Casablanca & Marrakesh which I found other-worldly. 

This is my photo of the entrance to the souks, the Jemaa el-Fna in Marrakesh. The buses arrive here too.

The Souks - the open-air marketplaces - are like a continuous craft fair. Having a local guide is necessary in the maze of shops. The guides meet the buses, arriving from Casablanca to Marrakesh. My guide told me to call him Mohammed Charlie Brown.


Besides beads, various kinds of clothing, shawls, household goods, rugs, slippers, and handbags are bargained for and sold. Many of the slippers and handbags are made by the nomadic Bedouin tribes that roam the Sahara desert.

I bought this handbag in Marrakesh - made from goatskin by a Bedouin tribe member.
I created this blog a year and a half ago (this is my 62nd blog) and I love traveling, so I was recently involved with editing a friend's travel web site.

http://triptravelsale.com
My friends use this site for flights, hotels, car rentals and cruises and everything goes smoothly. They are opening the site to the rest of the world.

A postcard I bought in Marrakesh shows a display called “Fantasia” usually combined with dinner for the tourists.

I’ll continue blogging about art and crafts. And I'm planning more travels combined with crafting. Please let me know if you have any thoughts to share in the Comments section.
©Anne Rita Taylor 2017

No comments:

Post a Comment