Friday, October 21, 2016

Publishing Zines

A Zine is a Do-It-Yourself magazine. Over the last 17 years I published 22 Zines. My first Zine had my art techniques and I swapped Zines with other artist book makers. 
My last Zine was about my ten days in Paris and contained internet links plus 53 photos - Mon Dieu!
My first Zine was cut and paste. After that, I used my home word processor, then my computer & printed book-style.
Zines are printed in small editions. I received Zines in swaps from Alaska to Hawaii, and practically all 50 states. Some had advertising, contributors or held interviews with other artists.
Starting with my second Zine, each one had the following:
  • Table of Contents
  • Workshop Review
  • Swap Stuff
  • My Carvings
  • A Poem (of my own)
  • Calligraphy
  • Art Book Review

My Zine 10 had instructions and a sample book for a Japanese binding technique, the Tortoise Shell Stitch.
In Zines 13 to 16 - I issued “An Invitation” - to share my interests, my calligraphy, my print carving, and my artwork. Sound familiar? Kind of like this blog.


I contributed an article: Mining for Creativity, a workshop review to L.K. Ludwig’s first Zine, called Memory & Dream in 1999. You can buy her 2008 art journaling book here: https://www.amazon.com/True-Vision-Authentic-Art-Journaling/dp/1592534260





Teesha Moore produced and authored professional Zines for more than 10 years - with advertising, many articles and pictures. They were inspiring! Some of her Zines are still for sale on her Etsy site: https://www.etsy.com/shop/teeshamoore  
In 2008, Zine 17: Zine Creation has zine-making instructions. I taught 22 people how to make a Zine at The Printing Museum in Houston; in April 2009 I taught 30 Austin Book Workers - who now have the Austin Book Arts Center - at DOMY Books - now Farewell Books - in Austin. 

Shameless Plug: You may want to Subscribe to my Blog (upper right side) - to know about a future blog that will have my full instructions for making your own Zine. 
The Houston Zine Fest 2016: at The Lawndale Art Center on Saturday, November 19th, from 2:00 to 8:00 pm. Support Zinesters! Check their website for future dates: https://zinefesthouston.org
If you read this far, please let me know if you have any questions or comments.
©Anne Rita Taylor 2016

2 comments:

  1. You are so darn creative and always amaze me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Sandee! Being semi-retired - glad to have some extra time - finally.

      Delete