Friday, November 17, 2017

Art Journal Collaboration


I was part of an art journal collaboration in 2006. There were fourteen of us, artists and clients of the leader who had a Process Painting business. A condition to join was to take her class which I did. Kind of like art therapy, but it was not for me.

Tiger on the back cover - flower on the front cover
I wanted to be part of the art journal collaboration even though I did not know all the parameters yet. We each had our own book that was passed to the next person every 3 weeks. 


We each picked a theme, mine was Floral Journeys to remind me of where I came from: I grew up in a family-owned flower shop. I had a sign-in page, here I blanked out the signatures. On my first page I had an accordion book, here it is opened.



Perhaps I had too much art instruction in my past to fully engage in Process Painting. Getting psychoanalyzed as I painted was not for me in 2006. 


In February 2007 we had an art exhibit at The Winter Street Studios in Houston. I sent the postcards to everyone I knew at the time. Many people showed up - it was a fun evening.



Each collaborator had to contribute money towards the art opening: food, security, rent, etc. Cost me $250 in 2007. That was the minimum fee to pay the leader, or my work would not be shown. The leader’s daughter bought one of my handmade books. And I sold another handmade book during the exhibit.

Here is the flip page video of my collaboration book:





Inspiration for the collaboration came from fifteen artists participating with art journaling documented in “True Colors” published in 2003. It is a fabulous, awe-inspiring book. If you like art journaling at all I recommend you buy it immediately.









Please tell me about your experience participating in art journal collaborations.
©Anne Rita Taylor 2017

No comments:

Post a Comment