Friday, December 1, 2017

Painting a Sunset


I wanted to have a serene painting for our bedroom. 

I found a photo that I liked, copyright-free. Plus I used acrylic paints - they dry quickly and mix with water.






I started by painting Gesso (Liquitex) on  a 24 x 36 inch wrapped canvas. Gesso is a primer base, helping acrylic paint to adhere to the canvas surface.  First I brush side to side with a 2 inch brush, wait a little bit, then up and down for even coverage.

Golden acrylic paints before & after painting - cleans up with water.
Several years ago Hobby Lobby had a clearance sale on Golden Acrylic paints. I was lucky to find this pricey paint on sale. They last forever too. If they dry up a little, adding water to the jar works fine.


I started painting the green bushes. First light green which is Golden’s Green Gold, then darker strokes of Jenkins Green to show depth. For the jetty I used Yellow Ochre mixed with Titanium White. I also used these for the sand with more white mixed in.

https://youtu.be/35JcqznA_iU - Click this link for the short video - under one minute!

I applied the turquoise water next using Cobalt Teal, spreading it on the canvas with a palette knife. Then brushing in some Cerulean Blue, Chromium with a 2 inch brush.

At first I did not have a sun setting, the photo did not have one. Before I added the sun, I thought it looked plain to me. I added the sun, some rays, red streaks with Quinacridone Crimson which I did not like either. And the right side of the sky looked too dark.

So I brushed on Titanium White, making a streak across the sky. I liked it better. As with all my art I am not 100% satisfied, but that is why I make art, to see how I can improve next time.

The final part is signing my name and applying the wire hanging. Using a screw eye on either side about 2/3rds of the way up, I attach the wire cord and it is ready to hang. Here it is in my bedroom along with my Degas Ballerina.

©Anne Rita Taylor

No comments:

Post a Comment