Friday, December 23, 2016

Learning Foundational Calligraphy


Lettering Foundational calligraphy seems easier because it is based on the circular O. Also of course it takes lots of practice!


Sheila Waters book, Foundations of Calligraphy is helpful; she has an analytic approach. Sheila studied at the Royal College of Art, London.


Because it was available in 1999, Italic was my first calligraphic hand, taught by The Houston Calligraphy Guild through their Tutorial Program. Simply put, Italic letters are narrow, written on a slant. Using a keystroke we can make anything we type Italic. See Exploring Italic Here: https://anneritataylor.blogspot.com/2016/08/exploring-italic-calligraphy.html


I tried learning Foundational on my own; then I benefited from a Summer Study class with Karla Hamilton: White Vine Letters and the Foundational Hand. 
See my blog on White Vine lettershttps://anneritataylor.blogspot.com/2016/03/creating-white-vine-letters.html









I practiced all summer, working toward this finished project. 













I have since enjoyed Foundational as my go-to hand but I know I am not perfect. What makes calligraphy so much fun is trying to master the form.




Practice, practice and more practice - fun on a winter's day... 





Below: I try writing using 4 pen nib widths for lower case and 7 nib widths for ascenders & capitals.





If you would like to share your thoughts with me - please let me know in the comments below.

Have a very Merry Christmas!!!




©Anne Rita Taylor 2016

No comments:

Post a Comment