Friday, September 2, 2016

Creating a Clamshell Box

I finally made another Clamshell Box! I learned how to make a Clamshell Box in an Austin workshop in 2012. I made another box from the pre-cut boards as soon as I arrived home.

A Clamshell Box is a custom made case for historically important books in museums or libraries, offering protection against light, wear and tear.

This week I made my box from start to finish: cutting the boards, gluing; making sure my book fit the box. I gathered my supplies:
right edge ruler, plus smaller ruler to get in tight spaces
scissors
bone folder
pencil
brushes
PVA glue
Davey board - thicker than mat board
Not pictured: 
X-Acto razor, 11 blade to cut board - I use my CARL Cutter to cut smaller pieces
paper or book cloth to cover your box

First, I measured my Link Binding Book: 6 5/8 x 10 1/4 plus the depth is 1 inch. I needed 11 pieces of board: the lower tray does not fit the book perfectly since 1/8 inch of the board thickness, two on the length and one for width, are added. The top tray goes over the lower tray plus 3 sides - remember the 1/8 for all the sides, then 3 boards - looks like a cover for a book. 

The sides are glued on top of the tray. Then roll the glued sides of each tray on the paper. Remember that your finished box will depend totally on the size your book. Mine was 10 3/4 by 6 3/4 for the lower tray. And 11 x 7 x 1 1/8 for the upper tray.

I used the paper Debbie gave me for my July workshop, 1 1/2 sheets of  20 x 30 inches. My order of gluing after rolling the sides: bottom back, front tray sides, top sides, then top back.

Remember to cut the sides in v shapes so your paper is not clumped up. It really is fold over, measure and cut as you go. Your amount of paper will depend on the size of your book.

I made the books for the Austin Clamshell Boxes to fit inside. I recommend making a box for your book instead. My recent box took hours to make but was a fun challenge too. 
Let me know if you have questions and be sure to tell me about your experience with making boxes for your books.

©Anne Rita Taylor 2016

No comments:

Post a Comment